The Greenville Police Department offers certain citizens the opportunity to ride along with a police officer for part of a shift. This allows citizens to see first-hand the daily job an officer performs. The purpose of the ride-along program is to strengthen partnerships with individuals who are stakeholders in the community. Citizens may apply to participate in the GPD Ride-Along Program provided they meet certain requirements.
Ride-along applicants must meet at least one of the below requirements:
- Live, work or attend school in the City of Greenville city limits. Check your location
- Current application for employment with the Greenville Police Department
- Current participant or alumni of the Greenville Police Citizens Academy or Leadership Greenville
- Certified police officer in another jurisdiction
Additionally, applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Approved applicants may ride along no more than once every six months, and ride-alongs are always limited to four consecutive hours. Additional requirements and restrictions apply.
Citizens will not be allowed to participate in this program if any of the following apply:
- Pending arrest or conviction for any offense
- Any felony arrest within the previous ten (10) years
- Any misdemeanor arrest within the previous five (5) years
- Currently under investigation by any law enforcement agency
- Has been denied employment by this agency and is ineligible to reapply
- Has been terminated by this agency or resigned to avoid disciplinary action
- Has been previously rejected from the ride-along program due to failure to disclose arrest record or other untruthful information on application
- Does not possess a valid, government-issued identification
- Any person who is a member of any organization or participates in any organization deemed by the Chief of Police to be subversive to the department or the policing profession
- Any person who is or has been party to a civil lawsuit against the City of Greenville, the Greenville Police Department, and/or any current employees of the City of Greenville
- Any person who is delinquent in the payment of court-mandated child support
- Any person who appears mentally ill-prepared to exhibit sound judgment
The Chief of Police or his designee retains the right to allow or deny anyone from participation in this program at his/her discretion, with or without cause or explanation.