Guide to Recyclables
- Plastic bottles and jugs (all containers numbered 1-7). Caps left on are acceptable.
- Aluminum cans
- Cardboard (flatten boxes and remove all non-paper packaging such as Styrofoam; no pizza boxes with heavy grease or cheese residue)
- Mixed paper (magazines, bulk mail, phone books, newspapers, etc.)
- Steel cans
- Vehicle tires (two per person; no rims or debris; no heavy equipment tires)
- Milk cartons, drink cartons and juice cartons
Note: Scrap metals, appliances and tires are accepted for recycling at the curb, but should be placed outside of your blue container.
- Glass jars and bottles; window glass; drinking glasses; mirrors; ceramic items
- Computer equipment and TVs*
- Hazardous materials including fluorescent light bulbs, ballasts, used oils and chemicals (take to Greenville County drop-off center or Twin Chimneys Landfill)
- Heavily waxed items such as laminated sheets, ice cream cartons, etc.
- Paint (put dried paint in garbage container or take to Greenville County drop-off center)
- Plastic bags, trays, Styrofoam, diapers, etc.
- VHS and Beta tapes
- Compact discs (CDs) and CD cases
- Building materials, household furniture or appliances
- Any items with heavy food residue, as they can contaminate other clean and acceptable items in the recycling stream
*It is against state law to dispose of computers, computer monitors, televisions and printers (as well as parts of any of these items) in a recycling bin or trash container. The City holds two electronics recycling events a year. You can also call local companies such as Best Buy; EPSI (864-847-7700) and Clean Lites (864-503-9900) or visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency website for recycling options.
PLASTIC BAGS SUCH AS GROCERY BAGS, BREAD BAGS, DRY CLEANING BAGS AND NEWSPAPER BAGS CANNOT GO IN YOUR RECYCLING CART.
|Type of Item
||Examples & Directions
||Magazines, bulk mail, phone books, newspapers, chipboard (cereal boxes, cracker boxes), etc.
|Cardboard||Flatten boxes and remove all non-paper packaging such as Styrofoam. No pizza boxes with heavy grease or cheese residue accepted.
|Paperboard||No heavy wax covered paper accepted.
|Steel||Steel cans and scrap metal are accepted. Place scrap metal outside of your recycling bin for pickup.
|Plastic||Containers numbered 1-7 (bottles and jugs or anything with a neck). Caps left on are acceptable.