- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be 21 Years of age
- Must be a high school graduate or have an equivalency
- Must have a steady/reliable work history
- Must have or be able to obtain a valid South Carolina Driver's License
- Must not have any driver's license suspensions during the last 5 years for Driving Under the Influence (DUI), leaving the scene of an accident, reckless homicide, or involuntary manslaughter
- Must not have a record of a felony or criminal domestic violence
- Must not have a record of a crime of moral turpitude or a misdemeanor carrying a possible sentence of more than 1 year
- Must not have defaulted on a student loan
- Must have a good credit history
- Must have an honorable discharge from the U.S. military, if applicable
- Must pass a background investigation to include a clear criminal record
- Must pass pre-employment screenings (drug test, vision, hearing, psychological exam, polygraph, stress, and pulmonary function tests)
Once employed as a Police Officer in Training, you will attend the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy in Columbia for 12 weeks. Certified Officers from other states and Military Police may qualify for a 6-week legal portion or a challenge test.
The Field Training Program (FTO) is 600 hours. This may be shortened to compensate for prior experience. The probationary period is typically 1 year.