Crews are completing a thorough cleaning of the historic Thomas Gower bridge façade and modernizing the lighting. The facelift for the bridge over South Main Street will wrap up by the end of the year.
Built in 1910, the current bridge replaced a wooden bridge built in 1870 by then Mayor Thomas Gower, who won his seat on the single issue of building a bridge over the Reedy River.
The three-span, earthen-filled bridge has aged well, and was renovated in 2001.
Its permeable coating and strategically-placed weep tubes allow water to drain through the bridge while maintaining its structural integrity.